Sunday, April 26, 2009

PhilNITS Exam (Davao City) -- April 26, 2009

Today is another exciting day for Davao IT!

Today, April 26, 2009, a total of 76 IT students, professionals, teachers and enthusiasts are challenging the PhilNITS certification exams. Majority are taking the exams for the first time (most of them college students in their 3rd year of education), while some have experienced taking it before and are determined to continue the challenge. Almost all examinees are challenging the FE (Fundamental IT Engineer) exam, but there was one who challenged the SW (SW Design and Developent Engineer).

To facilitate the exam, and to provide morale support, Shinichiro Kato (PhilNITS' Vice President for Finance) and PhilNITS Davao staff members Joy Alferez and Renan Cruz were there. Arriel Nengasca also lent a hand in behalf of DTI-XI. I too visited the UIC (Bonifacio) Campus to give support to the PhilNITS people and to the examinees, especially to those who attended my reviews and orientation seminars.


My hopes are high that our examinees will do well in the exam. But with an average passing rate of only about 10% nationwide, I am realistic in my expectations. Still, knowing personally the capability of most of the examinees, I am confident that they have done well. I am just hoping their scores are good enough to reach the passing mark. Last year our review program helped to produce the first student passer from Ateneo de Davao University (Jedd Benedict Kris Mahilum), and also from University of Southeastern Philippines (Rendell Andrin). Three of our review participants from UP-Mindanao also passed (Larvi Jerrick Badoy, Raymond Bryan Brion, Ian Jay Plaza). A good number also got good scores, but ufortunately were a little short of the passing mark.

The PhilNITS review courses were made possible through the generous sponsorship of Data Horizon (a Japanese SW Development company). PhilNITS Foundation also found additional sponsors, allowing more DavaoeƱos to take the examination in spite of their tough financial standing. This was all made possible through the tireless efforts of PhilNITS president, Ma. Corazon Akol, and its vice president, Shinichiro Kato.

It would be about a month or so before the results of the exams will be known. For the time being, we can relax knowing we prepared well for the exam. Pass or not, we have already benefited a lot (in terms of IT knowledge and skill improvement) from preparing for the exam.

5 comments:

Rendell said...

nice post sir loy!

i wish luck to all who took the exam!

godbless to all of us!

Rendell said...

nice post sir loy!

i wish luck to all who took the exam!

godbless to all of us!

loypinoy said...

thanks Rendell :)
Good luck on your preparation for Japan too. Always remember to promote Davao ha :) Hehe.

Feckless Fool said...

Results are out.

http://www.philnits.org/passers.html

And apparently, I passed. :D

Just been googling any news about it to make sure I didn't go crazy and started seeing things or anything, but it seems there aren't any forum or blog posts about it yet.

Though being the cynic that I am, I can't help but worry that perhaps they made a mistake when listing the names of the passers and they put my name in there accidentally.

I only had to take the PM removal and I found it surprisingly easy. Which I guess just proves that passing the exam is based on 30% knowledge, 30% competence, and 40% luck.

The luck in there not being lucky in etching the numbers 1 to 4 on the four sides of your eraser and using it as a die, but lucky in the sense that what comes out in the exam are things that you know, have studied, or have some familiarity with that you can actually manage to tackle the problem and not resort to random guessing.

Again though, I've always been a cynic, so I'm not gonna be celebrating until I see my score or have that certificate in my hands.

Anyway, congratulations to all who passed. To those who didn't, well the only thing that's going to hold you back is losing hope. Just keep going at it, and build up your knowledge and skills. I mean eventually, you're bound to get an exam where you know 80% of what's being asked. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Good luck to all takers this October!!
Lucky for me I also passed, after studying for 2 months. Anybody want to buy my books? Hehehe! Lucky books :)
http://shop.ebay.ph/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=philnits
-Sof